A Brief Introduction of Hangzhou Normal University
Hangzhou Normal University started as Zhejiang Official Dual-Level Normal School in 1908. It was renamed Zhejiang Provincial First Normal School in 1913. In times of upheaval, the university set changes in motion and emerged as Zhejiang’s pioneer in democracy and science. In 1978, Hangzhou Teachers College was formed on the basis of Hangzhou Normal School. At the turn of the 21st century, multiple institutions were successively combined with Hangzhou Teachers College. 2007 marked the birth of the new Hangzhou Teachers College, officially today’s Hangzhou Normal University.
With 24 schools, and 1 affiliated hospital, Hangzhou Normal University has Cangqian, Xiasha and Yuhuangshan campuses, covering a total area of about 190 hectares, with a total construction area of 1.9 million square meters. It has 2669 staff members and more than 29,000 full-time students, including more than 240,000 undergraduates, over 5,300 graduate students, and about 320 international degree students.
With 10 of its disciplines in the top 1% of international ESI disciplines, the University is now among China’s top 100 by ESI ranking and has secured a leading position among its provincial peers when it comes to the overall strength of disciplines.
HZNU keeps a close eye on the Belt and Road Initiative and follows closely what is going on globally. The University, which is among the first to be accredited by China Education Association for International Exchange for international student education,co-runs a center for Chinese language education and cooperation in partnership with Middle Tennessee State University in the United States, a Joint Institute with Kharkiv National University in Ukraine and a Joint Program at Master Level with the University of Canberra in Australia. Friendly ties have been established with over 70 renowned universities around the world, confirming its belief that openness and inclusiveness should be the tone for international exchanges.